Monday, March 19, 2007

TiddlyWiki: Personal Notebook

For a little while now, I've been using TiddlyWiki as my personal notebook. It rocks! The nice thing is that everything is stored in just one HTML page; so, it's just one file. If you want to back it up, or transfer it, you're just copying one file. You don't need anyone's permission to install it, since it runs on your machine, not some IT-administered server.

Instead of having wiki pages linked together, it uses "tiddlers" that show up as subsections of the main page. You can edit them in place, all from within the web browser. Like all wikis, instead of editing raw HTML, you use mostly plain-text, with some formatting codes. Here's a cheat sheet on formatting.

I tend to jump around between the same dozen topics. It seems I can only work intensely on a given topic for about 2-3 days. It's nice to have a centralized, backed-up notebook so that, over time, I'm building real progress, incrementally.

I've used Subversion for a while now, to keep track of all my personal source code. I never had a good solution for notes and ideas and links, though.

The one feature I'd love to see is support for inserting mathematical formulas(ae?) using LaTeX. That would truly kick ass! Um, figuratively.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home