Monday, December 11, 2006

Canadian Securities Course 1 of 2

Whew! Well, I dodged that bullet! I just wrote the first of two computerized exams for the Canadian Securities Course (CSC), and I passed!

I signed up for the course on Dec 31 2005. According to the rules, you have a year to take the two exams before needing to pay to extend the timeline. With my time running out, I scheduled my exams at the end of November. The first was today, and the next one is on the 19th.

I took this course for personal interest, but I was having a really hard time studying seriously for it. The books start off with regulatory and background-info chapters that are soooo boring. I wanted to cry.

Then I looked at the syllabus. That boring crap is only worth 20 percent, you say? Well then, on to Balance Sheets, Fixed Income Securities, Equities and Derivatives!

I went to a diner for breakfast, and the owner saw me studying. Coincidence: she mentioned that her son had taken the exam. She was of the opinion that the test was doable, assuming one spent a month or so studying, not cramming over a weekend. Heh, heh -- I would *never* do that. No ma'am. PANIC!

Business, like nature, rewards results, not hard work. Of course, the capacity to work hard when needed is an asset, or rather, the inability to work hard when needed is a liability. The key is to do as little work as possible to achieve a desired result, but no less. Unfortunately I was pretty borderline going in, which is not good for binary decisions. I would rather spend a few days studying than waste long tedious months, but next time I'll pad it so that I know I'll pass going in, instead of having to live in suspense.

On the plus side, I now have our household's cram-it award, edging out my wife, who did her real estate certification in 3 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home